National Performance Program Overview
This program is about performance in the international arena for our Queensland athletes; requiring the best athletes, coaches and teams involved in a well-planned international program, driving for international success and creating a High Performance culture of excellence.
Basketball Queensland will identify and select the best age group athletes for participation in the program. This program is not only about talented athletes achieving international standards, this program has an immediate focus of increasing the frequency, duration and volume of our best junior athletes training with our best coaches.
Selection is subject to a number of criteria concerning physical attributes, Australian citizenship and endorsement from the athlete’s basketball Association. Basketball Queensland is in the process of developing partnerships with South East Queensland private boarding schools to enable regional athletes an opportunity to secure scholarships and relocate to the greater Brisbane area. Click here to find out more about the NPP Scholarship Program.
The stated objectives of Basketball Queensland National Performance Program:
- Work with athletes who have been identified by the senior men’s and women’s national team coaches (Boomers, Opals, Gliders and Rollers), junior national teams (Gems, Emus) with the provision of High Performance coaching, access to world-class training facilities and sports science services.
- Improved alignment between national, professional and state athlete performance plans to ensure each athlete has a unified and well-balanced annual training plan.
- Identify Queensland’s most talented junior basketball players with the correct tools to become internationally-competing players and provide the selected athletes with a tailored, measured and effective program of development to enable them to reach their full potential.
- Identify proven techniques and scientific resources which will assist BQ in developing international-standard players.
- Create a pool of players that can be selected into the national programs.
A renewed focus on senior national team athletes:
- Symbiotic linkages between the national team programs and the national league team programs (NBL/WNBL) and/or overseas-based programs.
- Increased coach expertise contact for our national team athletes.
- Coordination of the athlete’s annual training program to ensure the athlete is peaking for international events
- Increased level of commitment to improve basketball’s culture.