ABOUT BASKETBALL QUEENSLAND
Basketball Queensland was established in 1946, to join as a member of Basketball Australia, allowing participation in the first Australian Men's Championships.
Basketball Queensland Ltd (ACN 162 567 419) is a non-profit organisation and has three primary objectives:
- To administer the sport of Basketball throughout Queensland as the State Governing Body;
- to provide an avenue for over 22,000 players, coaches, officials and administrators to participate and develop through organised competitions and development programs; and
- To provide a quality entertainment opportunity for spectators.
Basketball is an extremely popular and well recognised sport, not only in Queensland, but Australia wide. It is a non-contact sport and provides a safe and enjoyable opportunity for players of all age groups. With the growing demand of the sport and the association with a professional State sporting organisation, Basketball Queensland is offering an outstanding opportunity to establish corporate partners, providing mutual benefits. Basketball Queensland is managed by a highly professional team of 13 paid staff, and countless numbers of volunteers. The governance of basketball Queensland is through a skilled board of Directors.
Basketball Queensland operations are driven by a strategic and operational plan to which all stakeholders are involved in the planning and development at an annual conference.
The competition calendar allows opportunities and pathways for new, developing and elite players, both men and women, of all ages.
Basketball Queensland also conducts a number of development camps and junior development programs. These are ongoing during the year. While basketball is generally a winter sport, the quality and usage of indoor facilities has allowed the sport to be played all year round in comfort.
A number of stadiums in Queensland are air-conditioned and of international, or national standard. Almost every town in Queensland is set up to play basketball, with the majority of schools building courts and encouraging participation as part of the school curriculum. Specific details of stadiums can be supplied upon request. Stadiums also offer weather/seasonal control and child care facilities, thus highlighting the trend in participation towards indoor sports.
Basketball is a very popular sport in Queensland and Australia, with approximately 250,000 registered players in 2011 (source - Basketball Australia). The attraction to the game is associated with the culture of the game - heroes both in Australia and USA, the ability to play either full or modified versions with a minimum of equipment, players and regularity and it is a fun and safe non-contact sport.
Basketball Queensland Profile
- Large 'family' demographic with players from 8-75
- 26,000 members with many social players
- High profile Olympic sport
- Large player base
- Equal participation from men and women
- Ability to play at all ages
- Played both indoors and outdoors 12 months of the year
- 34 Affiliated Associations
- State-wide representation with the sport, including all regional areas
- Highly Professional Staff
- 3 NBL clubs and 2 WNBL teams in Queensland
- Exceptional Competition structure across the entire state
- Competitions for wheelchair athletes, person with intellectual disabilities and indigenous communities
- Elite Programs
- Junior Development Programs
- Primary & Secondary school programs
- Participation in all National Championships
- Excellent relationships with Federal, State and Local Governments
Basketball Queensland will provide leadership and a State-wide framework for all participants to grow and develop in the sport
To be recognised within the State and nationally by clients and stakeholders as a leader and as a valued and credible provider of services in Basketball.