Future Development Program Overview
The Basketball Queensland Future Development Program (FDP) has been created in order to establish absolute linkages between Queensland basketball association representative programs and BQ’s state talent identification programs, involving a regional development strategy aimed at players aged 12 and 13 years old. The FDP will allow for systematic identification, selection and development of athletes at the Under 14 age group, following recognition of a significant skill gap between the Under 14 and Under 16 age groups.
The FDP represents the ‘wide end of the funnel’ for entry into the BQ State Performance Program and National Performance Program, involving a wide pool of athletes at the Under 14 age group who are identified to participate in a regional skill-based program with support from their Association, followed by regional trials and selections culminating in an age-specific State Development camp. Philosophically, this program is where players are introduced to age-appropriate skills, tactics, general sports science concepts and to the Basketball Queensland philosophy of play. The program is focussed on accelerating individual skill development, increasing awareness about what it is to be an elite athlete, and introducing and monitoring positive training habits.
The stated objectives of the Basketball Queensland Future Development Program:
The focus of this program will be on long-term athlete development and coach education, with the following key objectives driving the program:
- Introduction of a state philosophy of play
- Participation of athletes to improve basketball’s culture, intensity levels, training habits etc
- The ability to introduce sport-general and sport-specific concepts at earlier stages of development
- Local and regional athlete development
- Systematic linkages with associations and their development programs
- Increased frequency and duration of athlete-to-coach contact
- Increase in the number of athletes being serviced and catered for
- Increase in coach expertise
- Increased linkages with state associations
- Expert coaches employed by BQ, based regionally, accountable for delivering state strategies
- Expert basketball resources in the respective regions
- Expert coaches identifying, supervising and mentoring association coaches
Congratulations to athletes who have been selected for the Basketball Queensland Future Development Program. These athletes were identified and selected on the back of their performances during the Top of the North, Central Districts, BQJBC competitions as well as their performances at the Queensland State Championships. Athletes will now undertake an eight-week individual training program at their home Association under the direction of a Future Development program coach, and will attend the U14 All State Camp in July.